[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, MS .NET 1.1 and distutils

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Nov 27 00:26:38 CET 2004

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> Thomas Heller wrote:
>
>> Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> writes:

>>> That's not what their download page says:
>>>
>>> <quote href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/">
>>> Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
>>>
>>>  The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools
>>>  developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for
>>>  Windows and the .NET Common Language Runtime:
>>>
>>>     •     Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker.  These
>>>     are the same compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio
>>>     .NET 2003 Professional!
>>> </quote>
>

> The compiler works happily with the optimization flags...

After doing some extra checks, looking at the generated
assembler and trying the /O2 flag, I have to correct this:
even though the compiler from .NET 1.1 supports the /G optimization
flags it doesn't seem to do any of the more complicated optimizations
which you get with /O2.

Mike Fletcher told me that the Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
comes with the optimizing version of the compiler which is also
the one mentioned in the quote.

He also pointed me at:

	http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/cpp.shtml

So in summary you need these things if you want an optimizing
compiler for Python 2.4 extensions:

* MS VC++ Toolkit 2003

* MS Platform SDK (if you want to build Windows specific extensions)

In any, the compiler uses the same command line name, so a PATH based
search for the compiler would provide a useful extension for
distutils.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Nov 27 2004)