[Python-Dev] Python 2.4, MS .NET 1.1 and distutils

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Nov 26 18:19:08 CET 2004

Thomas Heller wrote:
> Wasn't the difference that no msvcrt import libraries are included,
> neither the license to redistribute the msvcrt runtime dlls (although
> the missing license probably doesn't matter, because they are already in
> the Python distribution)?

The main elements needed are the free .NET SDK (which provides a complete C++
toolchain, but has a non-optimising C compiler and a statically-linked only C
runtime) and the Visual C++ Toolkit (which replaces the .NET SDK compiler and
linker with ones which are actually useful).

The toolkit is useless on its own, since it includes the compiler & linker only,
and no other required build tools (like, oh, say, nmake).

I believe it's also necessary to install the platform SDK. I know I needed it to
get the "windows.h" header (since I was building Python itself, rather than an
exension) - I think it also included the stub libraries to link to the MSVCRT DLL's.

Unfortunately, the Windows partition I had all this set up on died a couple of
months back, or I'd be able to just write up a summary of what was required :(

Cheers,
Nick.