[Python-Dev] (class) module names clarification

Jack Diederich jack at performancedrivers.com
Thu Mar 18 19:23:22 EST 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 06:07:05PM -0600, eric jones wrote:
> >This would eliminate a whole class of errors where one writes code
> >assuming the import had the form "import StringIO" but it was actually
> >"from StringIO import StringIO"; or vice versa.
> >
> We've adopted this same coding standard for all our code at for this
> exact reason.  We also use CamelCase for classes (although old SciPy
> code use lower case for everything), and lower_case for methods,
> variables, and functions exactly as you have advised.  So, I'm all in
> favor of these becoming standard. :-)

Our early modules had the Graph.Graph() naming problem.  It took
quite a few [brush] burns before the wisdom of plotting.Graph() sunk in.
Now that SVN (which has proper renaming support) has hit 1.0 I'm looking
forward to switching from CVS and doing:
# svn commit -m "The Great Day of Renaming"

-jackdied