[Python-Dev] (class) module names clarification

eric jones eric at enthought.com
Thu Mar 18 19:07:05 EST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:

>>The whole point of StringIO is its class.  So if it were rewritten
>>in modern style, a user would write:
>>
>>	from userlist import UserList
>>	from stringio import StringIO
>>
>>Is this correct?
>>

>For example, although perhaps better module names could be found.
>
>This would eliminate a whole class of errors where one writes code
>assuming the import had the form "import StringIO" but it was actually
>"from StringIO import StringIO"; or vice versa.

We've adopted this same coding standard for all our code at for this
exact reason.  We also use CamelCase for classes (although old SciPy
code use lower case for everything), and lower_case for methods,
variables, and functions exactly as you have advised.  So, I'm all in
favor of these becoming standard. :-)

eric