[Python-Dev] dateutil

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Thu Mar 11 15:27:22 EST 2004

Hi Kevin,

> +1000!  I hadn't seen dateutil until today, but I think it is
> brilliant!  Definitely fodder for the standard library.

Thanks! :-)

[...]
> Some initial suggestion:
>
>  1) relativedelta and maybe the tz module should be added to the
> datetime module.

I'm open to namespace changes during integration.

>  2) the tz module needs to be made Win32 aware -- at least minimally.
> It should also
>      fail gracefully on systems that do not have /etc/localtime,
> /usr/share/zoneinfo, etc).

Indeed. Will appreciate suggestions from Windows users.

>  3) Some of the constants like FREQ_* may be nicer without the FREQ_
> prefix.  I

Probably!

>      almost never use 'from x import *', so it seems unnecessary to
> protect the module namespace with prefixes (unless there is an
> existing collision that I do not see).

The fact that you don't use it doesn't mean everyone won't use it. :-)

>  4) Similarly, it would be useful to also support the long names for
> MO,TU,WE, etc.

These names come from the rrule RFC, and since you may provide a
tuple of days, like (MO,TU,WE), to a given rule, they're pretty
comfortable.

Thanks for the suggestions!

--
Gustavo Niemeyer