[Python-Dev] dateutil

Kevin Jacobs jacobske at mail.nih.gov
Thu Mar 11 08:06:28 EST 2004

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

>Yes, it's time for the classical question. ;-)
>
>What's your opinion about the inclusion of the dateutil[1]
>extension in the standard library?
>
>[1] https://moin.conectiva.com.br/DateUtil

Gustavo,

+1000!  I hadn't seen dateutil until today, but I think it is
brilliant!  Definitely fodder for
the standard library.

The functionality is similar to a module that I wrote a few years back,
though I didn't
model the advanced behavior after the iCalendar RFC.  Unfortunately, I
have lost the
fight to open source most of my work from that era, so I am more than
happy to
help review and assist in the effort to incorporate your excellent
module into the
standard library.

Some initial suggestion:

  1) relativedelta and maybe the tz module should be added to the
datetime module.

  2) the tz module needs to be made Win32 aware -- at least minimally.
It should also
      fail gracefully on systems that do not have /etc/localtime,
/usr/share/zoneinfo, etc).

  3) Some of the constants like FREQ_* may be nicer without the FREQ_
prefix.  I
      almost never use 'from x import *', so it seems unnecessary to
protect the module
      namespace with prefixes (unless there is an existing collision
that I do not see).

  4) Similarly, it would be useful to also support the long names for
MO,TU,WE, etc.

I'm happy to supply patches as well.

Best regards,
-Kevin Jacobs