[Python-Dev] dateutil

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Mar 11 14:50:37 EST 2004

    Robert> I like the generator I wrote, but that should be easy enough to
    Robert> wrap around rrules. Ditto for the natural-language parser.

I'd like to try out your natural language parser, but can't find it.  I
naively thought this might work, but it doesn't:

    >>> import recur
    >>> import datetime
    >>> for eachDate in recur.Recurrence(datetime.date(2004, 1, 7), "every 4 days", datetime.date(2004, 4, 15)):
    ...   print eachDate
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
      File "recur.py", line 599, in __init__
        raise ValueError, (u"The supplied description ('%s') "
    ValueError: The supplied description ('every 4 days') could not be parsed.

I realize this is a usage question and python-dev isn't a usage list.
Still, it suggests that perhaps the community as a whole needs a bit more
exposure to these concepts before they are incorporated into the standard
library.  Perhaps a PEP about recurrence relations is warranted.

Skip