[Python-Dev] dateutil

Robert Brewer fumanchu at amor.org
Thu Mar 11 13:12:52 EST 2004

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:
> Being a carefully developed superset (as it offers more features and
> less restrictions) of the iCal RFC regarding RRULEs, I belive
> you won't
> find any equivalent work (in terms of speed and functionality).
>
> >     http://www.aminus.org/rbre/python/recur.py
> >     http://www.aminus.org/rbre/python/test_recur.py
> >

> Every example may be easily implemented with dateutil's rrule, as the
> above module is a simple implementation of interval based recurrences.
> As a counter example, rrule is able to do something like:
>
>   rrule(FREQ_YEARLY,bymonth=8,bymonthday=13,byweekday=FR)
>
> Meaning "dates with a friday 13th in august", for example. Notice that
> this is also a simple one. There are more complex ones involving
> cross-year weekly periods with random week starting dates and ISO week
> numbers, for example.

As the author of the module Skip mentioned (and awfully proud to be
noticed :) I have to concur; I actually prefer the iCal RFC, but didn't
have time back then to pursue implementing such a large spec. I've been
hoping someone would write DateUtil for me. ;)

The big win for my apps would be the inverse of rrulestr(); that is,
having constructed an rrule, give me the string according to the RFC (I
didn't see this in a quick perusal of the wiki page). This would let me
easily offer recurring events to my Outlook users from a webpage, for
example.

I like the generator I wrote, but that should be easy enough to wrap
around rrules. Ditto for the natural-language parser.

Robert Brewer
MIS
Amor Ministries
fumanchu at amor.org