[Python-Dev] second opinion for proposed fix for bug #754449

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Wed Mar 3 04:58:23 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004, Brett C. wrote:

> Basically the exception stems from a call to threading.currentThread in
> the _Condition class (which is just Condition) which, according to the
> comment along with the call, is just for its side-effect.  Well, I
> looked and I can't find the need for the side-effect.  I took out the
> code and ran the regression tests and nothing failed because of it.
>
> Since the code says the call is for the explicit side-effect I just
> wanted another pair of eyes to quickly scan the code in threading.py and
> either agree with me or tell me I am blind and point out where the
> side-effect is needed for Condition instances.  The offending
> currentThread calls can be found on lines 196 and 238 (can also just
> search for "side-effect" to find them).

The only generic side-effect I can see from calling currentThread()
(after drilling down to all the .h files for OS-specific stuff) is that
if the current thread isn't a thread created by threading, it calls
_DummyThread().  Dunno whether this is actually needed, no brainpower to
figure that out.  Do the regression tests make sure that threading works
with threads created by ``thread``?

"Do not taunt happy fun for loops. Do not change lists you are looping over."
--Remco Gerlich, comp.lang.python