[Python-Dev] second opinion for proposed fix for bug #754449

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Mar 2 23:50:15 EST 2004

So http://python.org/sf/754449 is a bug report about threading and an
exception being raised when the interpreter is being shut down, setting
a function in threading to None because of teardown, and then trying to
execute that now killed function in the shutdown code for
threading.Thread (what a mouthful).

Basically the exception stems from a call to threading.currentThread in
the _Condition class (which is just Condition) which, according to the
comment along with the call, is just for its side-effect.  Well, I
looked and I can't find the need for the side-effect.  I took out the
code and ran the regression tests and nothing failed because of it.

Since the code says the call is for the explicit side-effect I just
wanted another pair of eyes to quickly scan the code in threading.py and
either agree with me or tell me I am blind and point out where the
side-effect is needed for Condition instances.  The offending
currentThread calls can be found on lines 196 and 238 (can also just
search for "side-effect" to find them).

-Brett