[Python-Dev] 2.4 news reaches interesting places

John J Lee jjl at pobox.com
Sun Dec 12 16:09:57 CET 2004

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

> > One thing that bugs me: the article says 3 or 4 times that Python is
> > slow, each time with a refutation ("but it's so flexible", "but it's
> > fast enough") but still, they sure seem to harp on the point. This is
> > a PR issue that Python needs to fight -- any ideas?
[...]
> * Have python.org prominently feature an article of Python's use in
> high-performance environments.  IIRC, somebody wrote a realtime voice
> over internet system and found that with good design, there was no speed
> issue.  Also, the cellphone apps may make a good example.
[...]

IIRC, Alex Martelli mentioned a video application at last year's ACCU /
Python UK conference.  He said the system never went into production, but
it sounded like a good meme from the speed point of view: it triggered
surprised and gleeful noises from the mixed Python / C++ / Java audience
;-).

John