[Python-Dev] 2.4 news reaches interesting places

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Fri Dec 10 01:09:05 CET 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
[snip]
> One thing that bugs me: the article says 3 or 4 times that Python is
> slow, each time with a refutation ("but it's so flexible", "but it's
> fast enough") but still, they sure seem to harp on the point. This is
> a PR issue that Python needs to fight -- any ideas?

One thing you could do is announce loudly that the European Union is
actually funding a international consortium of scientists, industry and
software engineers to speed up Python (among other things :) -- PyPy.

I'm sure that a press release about this in the right channels could
make quite a bit of positive noise. "Python, backed by the EU". Of
course one worry is that the 'slow bureaucracy' meme would rub off on it.

Of course any press release would need to be discussed with the PyPy people.

Regards,

Martijn