[Python-Dev] Python 3.0 list of goals

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Aug 18 05:16:46 CEST 2004

> As a point of interest, are Python 3.0 and Python 3000 actually the
> same thing?

In my mind, yes.

> Python 3000 is clearly some hypothetical version at some
> unspecified time in the future, which may or may not ever exist. But
> at the rate version numbers are going, we're going to actually get to
> 3.0 before very long. So, when we talk about 3.0, are we talking about
> a wish version or a real version?

Actually, with one minor version number bump per 12-18 months, we
should have at least 5 years before we're at 2.9.  So I think we can
continue to equate 3.0 and 3000.  It would be nice PR to actually call
it "Python 3000" rather than "Python 3.0" when it comes out -- showing
we can play the marketing game as well as anybody without losing our
sense of humor.