[Python-Dev] Python 3.0 list of goals

Greg Ewing greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz
Wed Aug 18 05:01:34 CEST 2004

"A.M. Kuchling" <amk at amk.ca>:

> I think it would be useful to have such a list, because it would focus
> our language development effort on ones that are steps to 3.0, and
> maybe people can invent ways to smooth the transition.  I've started a
> list in the Wiki at http://www.python.org/moin/Python3.0 , but should
> it be a PEP?  (PEP 3000, perhaps?)

As a point of interest, are Python 3.0 and Python 3000 actually the
same thing? Python 3000 is clearly some hypothetical version at some
unspecified time in the future, which may or may not ever exist. But
at the rate version numbers are going, we're going to actually get to
3.0 before very long. So, when we talk about 3.0, are we talking about
a wish version or a real version?