[Python-Dev] Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Fri Aug 13 07:50:29 CEST 2004

Ken Manheimer wrote:
> Oh my.  I'm in the unfortunate position of liking this more than any of the
> other options i've seen - while strongly suspecting you were not serious,
> and would think a fool anyone that would consider it for a moment.  Ah
> well.  The truth is out.
>
> The only adjustment i would make is to not include the ":" on the modifier
> lines:
>
>   def staticmethod
>   def author(name='yarrB')
>   def returns([int])
>   def plugh(self):
>        return 42

Did you see the 'predef' proposal I posted the other day? It seemed
perfect to me, but given the staggering lack of response to the post, I
suspect others were rather underwhelmed. The above would become:

    predef staticmethod
    predef author(name='yarrB')
    predef returns([int])
    def plugh(self):
         return 42

To me, 'predef' seems to shout "Look, I'm telling you something about
the 'def' that you are about to encounter in a line or two."

Ah well, guess I'll go back to being a lurker on the deco issue. . .

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan               |  Eugene, Oregon
Email: ncoghlan at email.com  |             USA