[Python-Dev] Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Ken Manheimer klm at zope.com
Fri Aug 13 00:28:57 CEST 2004

Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> writes:

> [Barry Warsaw]
> > Actually, that's an interesting case study.  Myself and others advocated
> > for a keyword other than 'def' for introducing generators.  That wasn't
> > how things turned out and in hindsight I think Guido made the right
> > decision.  I'm confident the same thing will happen with decorators.
>
> Ya, but it's sure taking Guido long enough to figure that out in this case!
>
> def staticmethod:
> def author(name='Barry'):
> def returns([int]):
> def method(self):
>      return 42

Oh my.  I'm in the unfortunate position of liking this more than any of the
other options i've seen - while strongly suspecting you were not serious,
and would think a fool anyone that would consider it for a moment.  Ah
well.  The truth is out.

The only adjustment i would make is to not include the ":" on the modifier
lines:

  def staticmethod
  def author(name='yarrB')
  def returns([int])
  def plugh(self):
       return 42

> a-keyword-for-all-seasons-ly y'rs  - tim

Could be!

Ken
klm at zope.com