[Python-Dev] Re: Call for defense of @decorators

Pete Shinners pete at shinners.org
Fri Aug 6 05:39:44 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> It seems a public outcry against @decorators has started.  When I let
> Anthony check it in for 2.4a2, the plan was to see how it fares in a2
> and a3, and possibly take it out in 2.4b1.  If you don't want that to
> happen, you might want to say something in public in defense of
> @decorators.

All along I've not been too particular on the syntax for decorators. I
see the need for tham, and still have sneaking suspicion this will end
up changing the way people use Python in many contexts.

Now that the @ syntax is out, I am feeling it is the best of the many
available options. All the proposals has pros and cons, but the @ syntax
seems to always win with more pros, especially after more experimentation.

I look forward to taking advantage of the decorators very soon. I can't
imagine there are any further syntax options remaining, although I
wouldn't be opposed if the community could put something together.

Anyways, this hardly turns out to be a rallying defense. But the need
for functionality is there, and the many syntax proposals have been
weighed. The better option has already been committed in my eyes.

I'm just glad >> wasn't involved, heh.