[Python-Dev] Call for defense of @decorators

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Thu Aug 5 19:42:52 CEST 2004

[...]
> We also need help updating the PEP; it doesn't mention @decorators,
> and it doesn't even begin to mention the pro and con of many other
> suggestions (does it say why "def decorator func(...)" was rejected?).

It doesn't seem to even mention it. I also belive this is a much better
syntax, which doesn't introduce a new symbol, and reads more naturally.
I'd really like to see the current implemented syntax replaced by this
one, but I'm not sure what's the correct way to proceed from here.

> I don't have time for any of this; I can barely make time for a few
> emails per day.  Perhaps the @advocates can elect or volunteer a PEP
> editor.
>
> I really don't care if everybody thinks it's ugly.  I do care to find

You don't care if everybody thinks this is ugly!? That's bad.

> out about usability issues.  For example, it may cause problems for
> Leo, but I don't know how bad that is.  I also want to find out about
> superior syntax proposals (from __future__ import decorators might be
> acceptable).

How can I help defining something superior? You said you don't want
voting, and that this is not a democracy, and that you don't care
if the current syntax is ugly. I'm worried about this issue.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net