[Python-Dev] Call for defense of @decorators

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Thu Aug 5 19:00:23 CEST 2004

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:

> It seems a public outcry against @decorators has started.  When I let
> Anthony check it in for 2.4a2, the plan was to see how it fares in a2
> and a3, and possibly take it out in 2.4b1.  If you don't want that to
> happen, you might want to say something in public in defense of
> @decorators.

Like what?  I don't want to see that happen.

Do you want justifications, too?  :-)

I would beg of you to not give the idea that you or anyone else is
going to be counting votes on this at some point.

> An argument about timing: IMO there's no point in putting it off until
> 2.5 -- the syntax options don't get prettier, backwards compatibility
> issues don't get easier by waiting, and as it is it will probably take
> a year from 2.4's release in December before it is the mainstream
> Python version.

+1

Cheers,
mwh

--
  ARTHUR:  The ravenours bugblatter beast of Traal ... is it safe?
    FORD:  Oh yes, it's perfectly safe ... it's just us who are in