[Python-Dev] Re: Decimal data type issues

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 21:04:44 EDT 2004

[Kevin Jacobs]
> Sorry for all of the unnecessary confusion. ...

No problem.

> First, I get decimal numbers from many database adapters, flat files,
> XML files, in a variety of string formats, mainly.  Virtually all are
> decimal string representations (i.e., a string of numbers with an option
> decimal point thrown in somewhere).

Then what problem are you trying to address when reading these numbers in?
Is it that you don't trust, e.g., that a column of a database declared with
some specific (precision, scale) pair enforced its own restrictions?  Using
Decimal.Decimal(string) exactly as-is today, you'll get exactly whatever
number a string-of-digits-possibly-with-a-decimal-point specifies.

> Not all of them encode scale explicitly by adding trailing zeros, though
> most of the time do they conform to a given maximum precision.  A few
> sources do provide decimals as an integer with an explicit decimal scale
> exponent.

The spec doesn't supply any shortcuts for changing the exponent, because
multiplication and division by powers of 10 are exact (barring underflow and
overflow).  Perhaps a shortcut for that would be handy, but it's not
semantically necessary.

> Clearly not.  The first example was supposed to have a precision of 5:
>
>    Decimal('20000.001', precision=5, scale=0) === Decimal('20000')

So you're really doing a data conversion step?  That is, you don't really
want the numbers your data source gives you, but want to transform them
first on input?  You *can*, of course, it just strikes me as an odd desire.

>> In any case, that's not what the IBM standard supports.  Context
>> must be respected in its abstract from-string operation, and maximum
>> precision is a component of context.  If context's precision is 4,
>> then
>>
>>    from-string('20000.001')
>>
>> would round to the most-significant 4 digits (according to the
>> rounding mode specified in context), and signal both the "inexact"
>> and "rounded" conditions.  What "signal" means:  if the trap-enable
>> flags are set in context for either or both of those conditions, an
>> exception will be raised; if the trap-enable flags for both of those
>> conditions are clear, then the inexact-happened and rounded-happened
>> status flags in context are set, and you can inspect them or not (as
>> you please).

> Yes -- this is what I would like to have happen, but with a short-cut
> to support this common operation.

What, exactly, is "this common operation"?  Everything I described in that
paragraph happens automatically as a result of a single from-string
operation.  Is it that you're reading in 10 numbers and want a unique
precision for each one?  That would surprise me.  For example, if you're
reading a column of a database, I'd expect that a single max precision would
apply to each number in that column.

> My previous comment about "great difficulty" was not in terms
> of the implementation, but rather the number of times it would have to
> be developed independently, if not readily available.

Well, I don't know what "it" is, exactly, so I'll shut up.

> However, I am still not aware of a trivial way to enforce a given
> scale when creating decimal instances.

Sorry, I don't even know what "enforce a given scale" *means*.  If, for
example, you want to round every input to the nearest penny, set context to
use the rounding method you mean by "the nearest", define a penny object:

    penny = Decimal("0.01")

and then pass that to the quantize() method on each number:

   to_pennies = [Decimal(n).quantize(penny) for n in input_strings]

Then every result will have exactly two digits after the decimal point.

If for some mysterious reason you actually want to raise an exception if any
information is lost during this step, set context's inexact-trap flag once
at the start.  If you want to raise an exception even if just a trailing 0
is lost, set context's rounding-trap flag once at the start.

> As you point out in a separate e-mail, there are many operations
> that in effect preserve scale due to unnormalized arithmetic
> operations.

Yes.

> However, this conversation is somewhat academic since there does not
> seem to be a consensus that adding support for construction with
> scale and precision parameters are of general use.

Except I'd probably oppose them at this stage even if they were of universal
use:  we're trying to implement a specific standard here at the start.

Note that a construction method that honors context is required by the spec,
and precision is part of context.

> So I will create my own decimal subclass and/or utility function and
> be on my merry way.

Don't forget to share it!  I suspect that's the only way I'll figure out
what you're after <wink>.