[Python-Dev] Re: No-cost optimizing VC 7.1

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Apr 19 16:03:18 EDT 2004

Moore, Paul wrote:
> I don't know if anyone has stats on how many of the 3rd party
> extension authors who currently provide Windows binaries have
> access to MSVC7, and so can make the switch. It may be "all of
> them". I don't have MSVC7, although I do have MSVC6 (my company,
> or at least my group, never upgraded) but I've no idea how unusual
> my situation is. A heads-up on c.l.p would probably be worth it,
> but it's also likely to generate a huge amount of FUD, and anti-
> Microsoft rants.

Given that the Python release is still several months ahead,
I'd advise against such a posting. Personally, I don't know
a single VC6 user who doesn't also have a copy of VC.NET 2003
available (except for you, whom I only know via email :-)

In any case, the only possible change out of this discussion
is that Python 2.4 would be built with VC6. I personally know
a few people which have VC.NET 2003, but not VC6, because you
cannot purchase the latter one, anymore. So, standardizing
on .NET 2003 is a good thing: it means that .NET (2002) gets
skipped (and widely so, beyond Python); it may also mean
that .NET 2005 (aka Whidbey) might get skipped, in favour
of then-.NET 2006.

Regards,
Martin