[Python-Dev] Re: No-cost optimizing VC 7.1

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com
Mon Apr 19 04:30:26 EDT 2004

From: Tim Peters

>[Greg Ewing]
>> Can I just ask at this point whether it's possible to
>> use MinGW to compile extensions for the Python version
>> under discussion here?
>
> Don't know -- someone who uses MinGW would need to answer that.

Yes, it is. However, that's for your own extensions. Grabbing an
arbitrary 3rd party extension from the web and trying to compile
it yourself isn't always easy. (MSVC-isms in the code, use of
3rd party commercial libraries which don't support mingw, etc)

I don't know if anyone has stats on how many of the 3rd party
extension authors who currently provide Windows binaries have
access to MSVC7, and so can make the switch. It may be "all of
them". I don't have MSVC7, although I do have MSVC6 (my company,
or at least my group, never upgraded) but I've no idea how unusual
my situation is. A heads-up on c.l.p would probably be worth it,
but it's also likely to generate a huge amount of FUD, and anti-
Microsoft rants.

>> If not, I think you're making a big mistake basing the
>> standard distribution on this compiler.
>
> Why is that?  If it doesn't play nice with the latest MSVC, MinGW
> doesn't have a future on Windows.

Mingw is fine in this regard.

Paul.

liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.