[Python-Dev] 2.3rc2 IDLE problems on a Win2000sp3 box

Kurt B. Kaiser kbk@shore.net
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 07:34:07 -0400

"Tim Peters" <tim.one@comcast.net> writes:

> I will if it gets pursued, but I don't like the installer idea
> anymore, because you plan to do plenty already to warn IDLE users
> about these issues.

Nick Coghlan points out that if Zone Alarm intercepts the connection
the shell will not start.  In that case the banner will not be
displayed because the current implementation establishes the
connection before opening the shell window.

A way around this is to start with the -n switch, but that's not
a practical solution, especially for Windows.

It should be possible to pop up the notification dialog before that
point in the code is reached, but that's left for 2.3.1.

So a comment in the installer may be helpful.

--
KBK