[Python-Dev] 2.3rc2 IDLE problems on a Win2000sp3 box

Anna Ravenscroft anna@aleax.it
Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:41:41 +0200

On Sunday 27 July 2003 07:06 am, Tim Peters wrote:
> [Tim]
>
> >> If someone can suggest newbie-comprehensible text, I think that's a
> >> good idea.  It's easy enough to add a new dialog to the installer,
> >> and I'd insert this as the first dialog presented.  People who have
> >> installed Python before would notice it then, since it would be both
> >> the first thing they see, and brand new.
>
> [Kurt B. Kaiser]
>
> > Maybe use the text from the shell banner in Patch 778286.

+ (Personal firewall software may warn about the connection IDLE makes to its
+ subprocess using this computer's internal loopback interface.  This
connection
+ is not visible on any external interface and no data is sent to or received
+ from the Internet.)

I like this - it's clear and concise. And newbie-friendly enough, imho.

> I will if it gets pursued, but I don't like the installer idea anymore,
> because you plan to do plenty already to warn IDLE users about these
> issues.

So, excuse my caffeine-deficient brain: when is this message going to appear?
On installation, or on first run of IDLE, or both? I hope it will appear on
first run of IDLE, or both.

I'm remembering my first installation of Python - I had no idea yet what IDLE
was. I was starting from the point of "let's install it and play with it" and
then started working my way through the tutorial...

If a message came up in installation, I might look at it uncomprehendingly and
continue on and then wonder what was going on when IDLE starts - and try to
find that message again. If there's a place to look it up outside of IDLE's
help (someone suggested the download page, others suggested the README), or
better yet, a pop-up when IDLE first starts, before the firewall complains,
I'd have felt much more comfortable.

I think that eventually some code fix will be necessary to handle the firewall
issues. But, the notice is certainly a great first step (and I think,
sufficient for even us newbies).

Just my $.03 worth,
Anna Ravenscroft