[Python-Dev] Re: Extension modules, Threading, and the GIL

David Abrahams dave@boost-consulting.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 12:30:35 -0500

martin@v.loewis.de (Martin v. L=F6wis) writes:

> David Abrahams <dave@boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>> We also have a TSS implementation in the Boost.Threads library.  I
>> haven't looked at the ACE code myself, but I've heard that every
>> component depends on many others, so it might be easier to extract
>> useful information from the Boost implementation.
>
> Without looking at either Boost or ACE, I would guess that neither
> will help much: We would be looking for TLS support for AtheOS, BeOS,
> cthreads, lwp, OS/2, GNU pth, Solaris threads, SGI threads, and Win
> CE.  I somewhat doubt that either Boost or ACE aim for such a wide
> coverage.

Boost covers only pthreads and Win32 at the moment.  I thought I
understood Tim to be saying that all of the other ones should be
considered broken in Python anyway until proven otherwise, which is
why I bothered to mention it.

--=20
                       David Abrahams
   dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com