[Python-Dev] Re: Package Install Manager for Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy@udel.edu
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:54:13 -0500

"Jack Jansen" <Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl> wrote in message

> On Monday, Feb 17, 2003, at 09:42 Europe/Amsterdam, M.-A. Lemburg
wrote:

> > Jack, please change the name of that module before it's too
> > late. Something like pkgman would much better fit the purpose
> > (or packman if you feel that it should be a funny name ;-).

Packman is cute and clever.

> Hmm, you're the second person to state that the name pimp isn't a
good
> idea.
> I tend to like names with a bit of a joke in them, and there's more
> Python-related names that do this (idle, piddle).
>
> Does anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

-10

Ok, I'll be uncool.  To me, a pimp is a type of rapist.  Hardly
something to joke about.  In much of America, asking a female employee
to use 'pimp' to procure something might well be an invitation to file
a sex-harassment lawsuit.  To both me and my wife (who would be
insulted if so asked), the name says 'this is a college frat/nerd
prank product, not for serious business/professional use".

Terry