[Python-Dev] shared library

Pat Miller patmiller at llnl.gov
Tue Aug 5 14:42:07 EDT 2003

> "Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro" <gjc at inescporto.pt> writes:
>>    Without meaning to criticize, is there any particular reason why
>> the python shared library isn't enabled by default?

Martin pontificates:
> Because shared libraries suck, and the world would be a better place
> without them.
>
> I can elaborate if you want to :-)

I agree with Martin that they can be problematic, but amongst
our large Python community here, I've had several requests
for exactly that.  Typical use is something that embeds
(or optionally embeds) Python.

I understand there are portability issues with generating, but on platforms
where they work well (e.g Linux, WinXX) why not?

Pat

--
Patrick Miller | (925) 423-0309 | http://www.llnl.gov/CASC/people/pmiller

If it dies, it's biology.  If it blows up, it's chemistry,
and if it doesn't work, it's physics.