[Python-Dev] migration away from SourceForge?

Ben Laurie ben@algroup.co.uk
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:15:53 +0100

Barry Warsaw wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 01:24, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>

>>It is probably possible to find somebody to host the Python CVS and
>>offer enough connectivity to give more performant service than
>>SF. However, there is more to hosting such a service: You need user
>>management, email notifications, backups, and occasional hand-editing
>>of the CVS repository.
>

> This would actually be a big advantage over the present situation.  CVS
> repository surgery is (sadly) necessary sometimes, but it's something we
> currently can't do without a lot of pain.
>

>>I would expect that it might consume
>>significant time (several hours a week) to host the Python CVS. (Time
>>per project reduces if you host several projects)
>

> I can think of at least 3 projects we could host. :).  But even if
> GForge was our panacea, it would still take a real commitment to run and
> maintain.  I suspect the current crop of volunteers is already stretched
> pretty far.  OTOH, if we could roll Zope into the mix, we'd have more
> resources to draw from, maybe.

My company would be happy to host it in The Bunker
(http://www.thebunker.net/). We do have to figure out some way to get
compensated for the bandwidth we'd have to pay for (does anyone know how
much that is?), but I'm leaving that to those that worry about such
things. Presumably they'd want a link to us somewhere, or something of
that nature.

We have plenty of experience running CVS and we have 24x7 support.

Cheers,

Ben.