[Python-Dev] migration away from SourceForge?

Barry Warsaw barry@python.org
15 Apr 2003 07:56:48 -0400

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 01:24, Martin v. L=F6wis wrote:

> It is probably possible to find somebody to host the Python CVS and
> offer enough connectivity to give more performant service than
> SF. However, there is more to hosting such a service: You need user
> management, email notifications, backups, and occasional hand-editing
> of the CVS repository.=20

This would actually be a big advantage over the present situation.  CVS
repository surgery is (sadly) necessary sometimes, but it's something we
currently can't do without a lot of pain.

> I would expect that it might consume
> significant time (several hours a week) to host the Python CVS. (Time
> per project reduces if you host several projects)

I can think of at least 3 projects we could host. :).  But even if
GForge was our panacea, it would still take a real commitment to run and
maintain.  I suspect the current crop of volunteers is already stretched
pretty far.  OTOH, if we could roll Zope into the mix, we'd have more
resources to draw from, maybe.

-Barry