[Python-Dev] Dropping support for Tcl 8.0 and 8.1

Jason Tishler jason@tishler.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 08:18:16 -0400

Martin,

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:57:58PM +0200, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> writes:
> > This is probably too little, too late, but Cygwin is still stuck at
> > Tcl 8.0.  Would you be willing to keep this support in?
>
> No, I've already made the changes to drop this support, and added
> support for UCS-4 mode in _tkinter.

Although the above is disappointing, your position is quite
understandable.  See below...

> > Note that I've tried to encourage Cygwin to upgrade to a more recent
> > version:
> >
> >     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg00798.html
>
> That seems the right way to go.

Agreed.

> They may have changed Cygwin by the time Python 2.3 is released.

Unfortunately, the above is unlikely.  There seems to be "issues" with
more recent Tcl versions under Cygwin.  This implies that Cygwin Python
2.3+ will no longer provide a pre-built _tkinter module until the issues
have been resolved. :,(

> If not, users wishing to use Cygwin _tkinter can use Mumit Khan's Tcl
> 8.3/8.4 ports:
>
> ftp://ftp.nanotech.wisc.edu/pub/khan/tcl/tcltk-8.3.4-cygwin/

The above appears to be the most likely workaround.

Jason