[Python-Dev] Dropping support for Tcl 8.0 and 8.1

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
15 Oct 2002 22:57:58 +0200

Jason Tishler <jason@tishler.net> writes:

> This is probably too little, too late, but Cygwin is still stuck at Tcl
> 8.0.  Would you be willing to keep this support in?

No, I've already made the changes to drop this support, and added
support for UCS-4 mode in _tkinter.

> Note that I've tried to encourage Cygwin to upgrade to a more recent
> version:
>
>     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-10/msg00798.html

That seems the right way to go. They may have changed Cygwin by the
time Python 2.3 is released. If not, users wishing to use Cygwin
_tkinter can use Mumit Khan's Tcl 8.3/8.4 ports:

ftp://ftp.nanotech.wisc.edu/pub/khan/tcl/tcltk-8.3.4-cygwin/

Regards,
Martin