[Python-Dev] RE: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 17:19:33 -0500

Aahz writes:
 > True, but I'd be happy if Python were to take a step in the formal
 > direction here.  I don't think we want to write standards-like
 > documentation, of course, but adopting a bit more precision couldn't
 > hurt and might help.

More precision is good if we can maintain accuracy and say what we
actually mean.  I've been trying to document things that return true
or false as returning true or false rather then 1 or 0, but that's not
consistently done yet.

I think it makes sense to adopt the standard definitions of the
requirements terms "should", "must", "may", etc., using the
definitions from the IETF RFC (deviation would add confusion, though
we should feel free to copy the definition text if we can do so
without copyright problems).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>