[Python-Dev] RE: PEP 285: Adding a bool type

Aahz aahz@pythoncraft.com
Sat, 30 Mar 2002 08:50:50 -0500

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002, Guido van Rossum wrote:

>> Interestingly enough, the exception message says "__nonzero__ should
>> return an int" but really means "__nonzero__ must return an int".
>
> You've been staring at standards too much, haven't you?  The
> difference between MUST and SHOULD isn't as clear-cut as most
> standards people use them.

True, but I'd be happy if Python were to take a step in the formal
direction here.  I don't think we want to write standards-like
documentation, of course, but adopting a bit more precision couldn't
hurt and might help.
--
Aahz (aahz@pythoncraft.com)           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

Why is this newsgroup different from all other newsgroups?