[Python-Dev] addressing distutils inability to track file dependencies

Thomas Heller thomas.heller@ion-tof.com
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:38:59 +0200

From: "Guido van Rossum" <guido@python.org>
> I'm not sure what's to codify -- this is different for each compiler
> suite.  When using setup.py with a 3rd party extension on Windows, I
> like the fact that I don't have to fire up the GUI to build it.  (I
Same for me.
> just wish it were easier to make distutils do the right thing for
> debug builds of Python.  This has improved on Unix but I hear it's
> still broken on Windows.)

What do you think is broken with the debug builds?
I use it routinely and have no problems at all...

[Jack]
> > Note that for people having an IDE this would also make debugging a lot
> > easier: if you have an IDE project you can easily do nifty things like
> > turn on debugging, use its class browser, etc.

I prefer to insert
#ifdef _DEBUG
    _asm int 3; /* breakpoint */
#endif
into the problematic sections of my code, and whoops,
the MSVC GUI debugger opens just when this code is executed,
even if it was started from the command line.

Thomas