[Python-Dev] Other library code transformations

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 16:15:06 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>I was responding to this
>>
>>    > While you're at it: could you also write up all these little
>>    > "code cleanups" in some file so that Andrew can integrate them
>>    > in the migration guide ?!
>>
>>I think it's a nice "code cleanup" that is worth noting in a migration
>>guide.
>

> I think MAL wrote that.  I interpreted it as "Raymond should document
> which modules he changed, and how, so that people can be aware of the
> subtle semantic changes."  I now realize that he probably meant "can
> you write up a list of things you can do to modernize your code."

I meant the latter. This information is needed in order to moderinise
Python code and also to have a reference for checking existing
code against a specific Python version.

> But IMO the latter doesn't belong in a migration guide; the migration
> guide should focus on what you *have* to change in order to avoid
> disappointments later.  Most of the things Raymond does aren't about
> new features in 2.3 either.

I know. That's why I asked Raymond to add a Python version to
each of the modifications (basically pointing out in which Python
version this coding style became available).

Note that migration does not only include correcting code
which might break; it also covers code cleanups like what
Raymond is currently doing.

I somehow have a feeling that you are afraid of such a guide,
Guido. Is that so ? and if yes, why ? I think all this is valuable
information and worth publishing.

> And I *do* think that a migration guide should at least contain a
> general warning about the kind of changes that Raymond did that might
> affect 3rd party code.

Certainly.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg