[Python-Dev] Other library code transformations

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:04:58 -0400

> I was responding to this
>
>     > While you're at it: could you also write up all these little
>     > "code cleanups" in some file so that Andrew can integrate them
>     > in the migration guide ?!
>
> I think it's a nice "code cleanup" that is worth noting in a migration
> guide.

I think MAL wrote that.  I interpreted it as "Raymond should document
which modules he changed, and how, so that people can be aware of the
subtle semantic changes."  I now realize that he probably meant "can
you write up a list of things you can do to modernize your code."

But IMO the latter doesn't belong in a migration guide; the migration
guide should focus on what you *have* to change in order to avoid
disappointments later.  Most of the things Raymond does aren't about
new features in 2.3 either.

And I *do* think that a migration guide should at least contain a
general warning about the kind of changes that Raymond did that might
affect 3rd party code.