[Python-Dev] Review of build system patch requested

Neal Norwitz neal@metaslash.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 21:04:13 -0400

Mark Hammond wrote:

> > > * Makefile.pre.in has been changed to pass "-DPy_BUILD_CORE" to
> > the compiler
> > > when building Python itself and any builtin modules.  This flag is
> > > not passed to extension modules.
> >
> > My only concern would be that tools which parse the Makefile (I
> > believe distutils does this?) should not accidentally pick up the
> > "-DPy_BUILD_CORE" flag.
>
> Thanks Guido.  I mailed the distutils sig, and Andrew Kuchling replied that
> my change should be safe.
>
> Now I need some help checking this baby in!  My change touches
> Makefile.pre.in and configure.in, and require that both "autoheader" and
> "autoconf" be run to correctly regenerate output files.
>
> How should I do this checkin?  Is it necessary for me to perform any
> additional steps, or is there some magic that allows me to simply check
> these 2 files in and have everything else work?

I regenerated configure and Makefile.pre.in and attached it
to the patch.  While regenerating I got a warning:

	autoheader: missing template: _XOPEN_SOURCE

It would be good to have someone look over/test the new configure, etc.

Neal