Bug tracking (was: [Python-Dev] Re: Infinie recursion in Pickle)

Kevin Jacobs jacobs@penguin.theopalgroup.com
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 10:12:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Greg Ward wrote:
> On 01 July 2002, Gordon McMillan said:
> > [1] Writing an app as a set of cgi's is a fast way
> > to write a mediocre GUI.
>
> Rumour has it that there are several fine web application frameworks
> available for Python.  I'm partial to Quixote [1] myself, but I've also
> heard good things about WebWare.

I think the point was that web-based GUIs tend to be rather mediocre,
regardless of which toolkit is used.  To some degree I have to agree -- you
typically end up with a very clunky GUI with lots of high latency hits to a
server for updates, or a very complex frontend implemented with a large and
difficult to maintain body of Javascript.

Some progress has been made to improve the situation, although the
state-of-the-art is far from ideal.

We can take this discussion off python-dev if anyone wants to know more
about my thoughts on this matter.

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect