[Python-Dev] Re: Infinie recursion in Pickle

Tim Peters tim.one@comcast.net
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 13:33:20 -0400

Fran=E7ois, I swear you spend more time complaining about SF than it =
would
take to just use it.  You're not going to prevail on this, so please =
save
everyone's time (yours and ours) by skipping the repetition.

> The free software movement turned the values around, and refreshing=
ly
> underlined that reporting a problem is a contribution from the user=
> the software maintainer and indirectly, to the community.

Problem reports are certainly appreciated.  Problem reports via one-t=
o-one
email works great for a new open source project with users numbering =
in the
dozens, but it doesn't scale.  Python has hundreds of thousands of us=
ers
now, and more reports than the sum total of developers can handle.  A=
ny
project of this size has to change how it works.  Guido held on to hi=
Guido's-inbox bug reporting system for a year after it totally broke =
down,
and it took a lot of extra work to recover from the chaos it fell int=
o.
Despite its flaws, the SF-based trackers work at least a thousand tim=
es
better than that did in the end.  We can't go back.