[niemeyer@conectiva.com: Re: [Python-Dev] Python's footprint]

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Mon, 14 Jan 2002 19:43:30 +0100

Gustavo Niemeyer wrote:

> > Wouldn't it be much simpler to wrap the complete Py_DOCSTR()
> > into #ifdefs ?
>
> Yes, it's going to be wrapped! I took this code out of a file I was
> using to show the #ifdef problem.
>
> > BTW, I don't we'll ever need to #ifdef doc-strings for platforms;
>
> This would make things pretty easy, but note that we are *already*
> #ifdef'ing doc-strings for platforms. Python/sysmodule.c is an example
> of such.

Hmm, I wasn't aware of such doc-strings.

> > you can just as well put the information for all platforms into
> > the doc-string -- after the recipient is a human with enough
> > non-AI to parse the doc-string into meaningful sections ;-)
>
> Cool! Are we going to change the existent doc strings then?

Well, can't speak for PythonLabs, but I don't see any benefit
from making doc-string complicated by introducing #ifdefs. It
doesn't buy us anything, IMHO. Even worse: it makes translating
the doc-strings harder.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH