[Python-Dev] proposal: add basic time type to the standard library

Anthony Baxter Anthony Baxter <anthony@ekit-inc.com>
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:21:22 +1100

>>> "M.-A. Lemburg" wrote
> I tried that in early version of mxDateTime -- it fails
> badly. I switched to the local time assumption very
> early in the development.

If you must store stuff without timezones, _please_ don't use
localtime. localtime is a variable thing (think what happens
when daylight savings goes on and off).

Storing UTC, or else the local time and enough timezone data to
get to UTC reliably, is the only thing that will lead to hugs and
puppies.

Anthony, who deals with stupid date/times all the time, in billing
systems, and in different time zones.

It's never to late to have a happy childhood.