[Python-Dev] Re: proposal: add basic time type to the standard library

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 17:59:41 -0500

[Barry]
> I've not been following this thread at all, so apologies if this has
> been brought up already.
>
> The localization context should not (always) be taken from the user
> environment.  In systems like web-based services, the context will
> instead be relative to the person/entity making the remote request, so
> we have to be able to explicitly specify the localization context, or
> at least query, modify, and restore some global context.

Like I said <wink>, Microsoft has more experience with this stuff than
anyone.  Check out

    http://www.trigeminal.com/

Provided you're using IE, it should up come in the right language for you.
Try viewing it in different languages, and note, e.g., how date formats
change automatically.

Here's an article on how they do it:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/0700/localize/localize.asp