[Python-Dev] 2.2.1 issues

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 19:00:24 +0100

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> > M.-A. Lemburg writes:
> >>
> >> The problem with backporting this patch is that in order
> >> for Python to properly recompile any broken module, the
> >> magic will have to be changed. Question is whether this
> >> is a reasonable thing to do in a patch level release...
> >
> > Guido can rule as he sees fit, but I don't see any reason *not* to
> > change the magic number.  This seems like a pretty important fix to
> > me.
>
> The question is not whether it's an important fix, but whether the fix
> and its consequences are important enough to warrant changing the magic
> number.  It's obviously possible for people to regen their .pyc files by
> deleting them, so I think we should wait for Guido to say "yes" before
> bumping the magic number, given that one of the cardinal points of the
> new bugfix process is that .pyc files will not be regenerated due to a
> bugfix release.

We could of course ship the patch level release with the same
magic number. Modules that haven't worked before will then start
to work.

Note that we haven't had *any* bug report directly related to
this, so it's likely that noone has actually hit this bug in
practice.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
CEO eGenix.com Software GmbH