[Python-Dev] 2.2.1 issues

Aahz Maruch aahz@rahul.net
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 09:14:47 -0800 (PST)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg writes:
>>
>> The problem with backporting this patch is that in order
>> for Python to properly recompile any broken module, the
>> magic will have to be changed. Question is whether this
>> is a reasonable thing to do in a patch level release...
>
> Guido can rule as he sees fit, but I don't see any reason *not* to
> change the magic number.  This seems like a pretty important fix to
> me.

The question is not whether it's an important fix, but whether the fix
and its consequences are important enough to warrant changing the magic
number.  It's obviously possible for people to regen their .pyc files by
deleting them, so I think we should wait for Guido to say "yes" before
bumping the magic number, given that one of the cardinal points of the
new bugfix process is that .pyc files will not be regenerated due to a
bugfix release.

Note carefully that I do agree that it's a serious enough issue to
consider the possibility of breaking that rule, but I think we can't
afford to pull the trigger without Guido's specific buy-in.  We'll also
need to think about how we're going to market it if we do bump the magic
number.

To me, then, the proper question is, "Is this an issue where *automatic*
regeneration of .pyc files is sufficiently important?"

(I don't know enough to have an opinion myself ;-), but I'll point out
that the import failure means that at least it isn't a silent failure --
which I would absolutely agree needs a magic number bump.)
--
                      --- Aahz (@pobox.com)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6       <*>       http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

We must not let the evil of a few trample the freedoms of the many.