[Python-Dev] Proposed standard module: Optik

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:40:35 -0500

> I'd also be in favour of providing option parsing through getopt
> only. If getopt is not enough, extend it (in moderate ways, rather
> adding customization mechanisms instead of alternatives, etc). If that
> involves incorporating code from Optik, fine. However, I don't think
> the standard library should have two modules that do essentially the
> same thing; such scenarious will raise question whether one is better
> than the other and which of them is maintained.

I think Optik provides one key idea that makes it better: an options
parser object that can be invoked multiple times and each time returns
a new options object whose attributes are variables corresponding to
various options.

I'd be happy to say that the old getopt.getopt() interface will be
deprecated.