[Python-Dev] Proposed standard module: Optik

Martin v. Loewis martin@v.loewis.de
11 Feb 2002 17:26:00 +0100

Greg Ward <gward@python.net> writes:

> > It could be a new function in getopt:
> >
> >     from getopt import OptionParser
> >     [...]
> >     parser = OptionParser()
>
> I guess that's OK if we're agreed that Optik is the be-all, end-all
> option-parsing tool.  (I happen to think so, but I'd like to get
> opinions from a few other python-dev'ers before I let this go to my
> head.)

I'd also be in favour of providing option parsing through getopt
only. If getopt is not enough, extend it (in moderate ways, rather
adding customization mechanisms instead of alternatives, etc). If that
involves incorporating code from Optik, fine. However, I don't think
the standard library should have two modules that do essentially the
same thing; such scenarious will raise question whether one is better
than the other and which of them is maintained.

Regards,
Martin