[Python-Dev] Memory leaks and uninitialized memory

Fredrik Lundh fredrik@pythonware.com
Sun, 4 Nov 2001 17:13:58 +0100

hi neal,

> I just submitted a bunch of patches to SF to correct memory leaks,
> possible memory leaks, and uninitialized memory reads (UMR).

(I tried to follow up over at sourceforge, but all I get is an error
message saying "ERROR!" and nothing else...)

I'm a bit puzzled over your proposed SRE patch.

the patch changes

        return PyString_FromString("");

        result = PyString_FromString("");
        Py_INCREF(result);
        return result;

but both according the documentation and the implementation,
FromString returns a new reference (usually another reference
to the internal nullstring object).

in other words, if there's a bug somewhere, I'm not sure it's in
SRE.

> What is the best format to post this info?  Would there be a better
> way to deal with these kinds or problems?

keep on posting them to this list, until someone comes up
with a better idea.

</F>