[Python-Dev] Moving MacPython to sourceforge

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Mon, 07 May 2001 09:00:08 -0500

[Jack]
> > There's two ways I can go about this: start a new MacPython project
> > or merge the MacPython stuff into the main Python CVS repository.

We have platform-specific subdirectories for so many projects that
it's a shame we don't have the Mac code in there as well!

The only (small) advantage I can imagine of a separate MacPython
project would be that you (Jack) can more easily give others commit
permission to the Mac tree without giving them commit permission to
all of Python (which requires they gain the trust of a larger group of
Python developers).  Of course, I don't know if you expect much help
from others who are not already Python developers.

[Martin]
> There is actually a third option: Use the Python SF project, but
> create a new module in the Python CVS repository (so no merging would
> be done).

I don't know much about modules, but would this allow Jack to check
out the main code and the MacPython code into a single work directory
(which he needs)?  If so, it may be the best solution.

Note that no matter how you do it, you'll have to submit a tree of RCS
files to the SF sysadmins to load, unless you want to lose years of
MacPython cvs logs...

> I don't know how much code this is. I'd favour merging the Mac code
> into the core distribution. If there are loads of Mac-specific modules
> that not every MacPython user needs, it might be advisable to create a
> distutils package that contains the extra modules. Such a package
> should still live in cvs.python.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/python.

Undecidedly yours,

(Jack, regarding your Makefile and setup.py changes: I'd wait for
opinions on your patches from Neil and Andrew.  I don't see why
they would have an objection to adding these features, but the
specific implementation you propose might be subject to comments.)