[Python-Dev] distutils change breaks code, Pyfort

Sun, 25 Mar 2001 01:47:26 +0100

> The  requirement of  a  version argument  to  the distutils  command
> breaks Pyfort and  many of my existing packages.  These packages are
> not intended  for use with  the distribution commands and  a package
> version number would be meaningless.

So  this  is  clearly  an  incompatible  change.  According  with  the
procedures in PEP 5, there  should be a warning issued before aborting
setup. Later  (major) releases of  Python, or distutils,  could change
the warning into an error.

Nevertheless, I agree with the  change in principal. Distutils can and
should  enforce a  certain  amount  of policy;  among  this, having  a
version number sounds like a  reasonable requirement - even though its
primary  use is for  building (and  uploading) distributions.  Are you
saying that  Pyfort does not have a  version number? On SF,  I can get
version 6.3...

Regards,
Martin