[Python-Dev] CVS Python is unstable

Tim Peters tim.one@home.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 22:03:03 -0500

At work today, Guido and I both found lots of instabilities in current CVS
Python, under different flavors of Windows:  senseless errors in the test
suite, different behavior across runs, NULL-pointer errors in GC when running
under a debug-build Python, some kind of Windows "app error" alert box, and
weird complaints about missing attributes during Python shutdown.

Back at home, things *seem* much better, but I still get one of the errors I
saw at the office:  a NULL-pointer dereference in GC, using a debug-build
Python, in test_xmllib, while *compiling* xmllib.pyc (i.e., we're not
actually running the test yet, just compiling the module).  Alas, this does
not fail in isolation, it's only when a run of the whole test suite happens
to get to that point.  The error is in gc_list_remove, which is passed a node
whose left and right pointers are both NULL.

Only thing I know for sure is that it's not PyDict_Next's fault (I did a
quick run with *that* change commented out; made no difference).  That wasn't
just paranoia:  dict_traverse is two routines down the call stack when this
happens, and that uses PyDict_Next.

How's life on other platforms?  Anyone else ever build/test the debug Python?
Anyone have a hot efence/Insure raring to run?

not-picky-about-the-source-of-miracles-ly y'rs  - tim